In 1953 the ZA Magnette was unveiled at the Earls Court Motor Show featuring a perky 60BHP 1.5 litre engine, stiff unitary construction, telescopic dampers and rack and pinion steering. In 1955, engine power was increased to 68BHP with the fitting of twin 1.5 SU carburettors. The revamped ZB followed in the autumn of 1956. In total over 40,000 variants were made between 1953 and 1958, when it was replaced by the Austin Cambridge-derived range.
SHO327 is being sold on behalf of a family member who’s father first bought the car in the 1960’s to tow the family caravan, there are original photographs taken at the time which have been kept in the vehicle file.
Originally finished in Steel Blue, the car has been repainted some time ago in the Varitone combination of Steel and Mineral Blue. Additionally, the interior has been treated to re-trimmed seats and a quality replacement set of contrasting carpets.
Mechanically, the car has had both engine and gearbox refurbishment in the last 10 years and subsequently starts on the button, performs eagerly and runs very smoothly through the gears. A stainless exhaust system has also been fitted.
In 2017 Classic Car Weekly featured the car in their Chasing Cars article and concluded that it was one of the best ZB’s they had sampled, it was on sale at this time through a Classic Car specialist in Lancashire. The original article has been kept in the vehicle file.
Despite the car being MOT exempt, we will conduct an MOT upon concluding a sale. SHO327 is the original registration number issued in 1957 and remains with the car.